Red Rover can trace its operation as far back as 1928 when Edward Cain registered several stage services based in Aylesbury. The Cain family sold the business in 1955 to Keith Garages Ltd (Keith Coaches Ltd). This owner maintained the Red Rover and Keith Coaches fleets as two separate units for 20 years, when it merged the two fleets under the Red Rover company, although Keith Coaches continued to be marketed for tours etc. In 1985, it was decided to withdraw from coach operation altogether, to focus only on local bus services.
Red Rover operated a variety of commercial and council supported routes. These included town services in Aylesbury to Elmhurst and Quarrendon, along with services to Buckingham, Westcott and Bicester. Ironically, many of these routes are still operated today in various forms.
Most commercial routes were registered prior to deregulation of bus services in 1986, whilst additional Bucks and Herts County Councils tendered work was won. This enabled Red Rover to reach Luton, Dunstable and even Milton Keynes. However, in late 1987, Luton and District (formed out of the erstwhile United Counties) bought the entire operation and fleet and that, really, was that. Within about 6 months all the ex Red Rover buses had been sold and replaced with ‘standard’ Luton and District-liveried buses